Friday, September 14, 2007

Resistence Is Futile


My very first implant device. I'm now one step closer to realizing my dream of being part of the Borg collective. Well, not really. Today I had a "port-a-cath" installed in my upper-right chest area which will be used to deliver "healing drugs" (a.k.a Chemotheray) to my body. They'll also be able to use that port to draw blood in case I'm in need of a blood test. No more IVs through my veins! Yay!

The appointment was incredibly early in the morning - 6:30am. I couldn't believe it! And I couldn't believe that Eric actually drove down from the Valley to see me that early in the morning. Thanks Bro!

When I was all settled on the hospital bed with my very awkward hospital gown (how do those people expect me to tie them when the opening is in the back?! And no, I don't want the opening in the front), one of the nurses started an IV drip on my left arm. I was very impressed with her skills - I didn't feel ANYTHING. She used a local anesthetic that no one else used on me before. Why do people needlessly make me suffer?! Anyways, that would end up being my last IV for quite a while since I now have my port.

Post-op was ok - not too much pain if I didn't move my right arm so much. I was given two tablets of percocet and that went really well - it took effect in about 20 minutes. When it takes effect, you'll immediately know it. It was an 'oooh-ahhh, I feel kinda sleepy' feeling.

Can you see the little bump on my chest??

As I'm writing this the meds I took this morning are wearing off and I feel pretty sore around shoulder, but good thing I got Vicodin! Yippie! Dr. Cameron (my surgeon) says that I should be able to remove my bandage this Monday - I'm hoping that the pain wouldn't be so bad at that point cuz I got work. I kinda miss work..... we'll see how I feel after I start Chemo on Tuesday.

(I'm using the camera on my phone to take my pix)

Weight: 140.0
Pain areas: heartburn, chest area,
Numbness: none, really
Nightsweat: none, really
General Attitude: Positive
Swallowing: little better than yesterday
Medications: Prevacid, Percocet (2 tablets), Vitamin E, Multivitamin, Lemon grass tea