Friday, December 14, 2007

Back To Work For The Last Time

Weight: 135
Pain: 7-10/10 without medication, 0-3 with temporary medication (radiation site)
Nausea: 1/10
Depression: 3/10
Tiredness: 2/10
Swallowing Difficulty: 2/10
Medications: Prilosec, Fentanyl Patch 25, lindocane formula

The nausea is pretty much gone but what took its place is extreme pain. I had an endoscopy while at my stay at the hospital and they found ulcerations at the radiation site. Obviously, this is whats causing the pain. I was connected to a PCA device at the hospital, which helped with the pain only a little. For those that don't know, a PCA is a device which releases morphine and the release is controlled by the patient.

It seems like I can't stress enough how bad the pain is. I even get pain from drinking water and a little pain from swallowing my saliva. I can't eat solid foods - that'll make things even worse. I on a complete liquid diet - or very soft foods like pudding/jello or the like. And yes, even those cause pain on a level from 7-10. The only things that seems to help is Tylenol (which causes pain when taken), and the lindocane formula (contains maalox, lindocane, benedryl). This serves to numb my esophagus and does a very good job. But, it only lasts as long as I don't drink/eat after I take it; otherwise it washes most of it away.

I'm at work right now getting some of my things and turning in some forms since I'm going on disability. I don't know how long I'll be out but it'll be a minimum of 3 months. They say they'll save my seat. I hope so =). My life depends on it. The insurance is doing a good job of taking care of the tab.