Thursday, February 28, 2008

1 Week Post Surgery

I finally got to go home yesterday. In all, I stayed at the hospital for a total of 6 day – not bad at all considering what I’ve been though.

Things have improved little in the last few days – I still feel weak, not being able to breathe as deeply as before, neck ache, abdominal pain when I cough, muscle atrophy, throat pain when I swallow my saliva. In all, it feels like I’ve been run-over.

But things are going as expected, I guess. Its just really, really rough right now.

They currently have me on tube feedings through my j-tube almost all of the day. I have an appointment next week for them to determine if there are any leaks when I swallow liquids. If that goes ok then I’ll go on a liquid diet for several days then to soft foods after that. I’ll gradually lower my tube feedings when I take on more food by mouth

- total of 9 incisions (2 1-inch side incisions for chest tubes, 5 0.5-inch port incisions, 2 4-inch incisions one in the neck and the other in the abdomen).



Before....



.... and after.



This is my esophagus that they removed with 25% of my stomach. Sorry if this grosses anyone out.