Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Result of Colonoscopy

Weight: 136.6
Pain: 0/10 (little aches all over)
Nausea: 0.0/10
Depression: 2/10
Tiredness: 1/10
Swallowing Difficulty: 5/10
Medications: none

I had a colonoscopy yesterday due to suspicious activity in my colon as revealed in my last PET scan. I also had slight abdominal pain a week or two ago in the same area where that activity was. I had talked with my oncologist last week and he agreed that I should go ahead with the procedure (even though he said that it is highly irregular for esophageal cancer to spread into the colon).

The preparations for the procedure was quite uncomfortable - I had to spend most of the time in the bathroom. But I think the worst part was drinking the laxative - it tasted horrible, even when mixed with fruit juice.

The results of the procedure were mostly positive. The only abnormality was a small polyp in my colon which was biopsied; I won't know the results of the biopsy for several days. Polyps are quite common from what I hear and most of them turn out to be benign in nature, so I'm not too worried about it at all.